Sometimes it’s hard to know whether you should flick the TV on, stick some music on or simply sit there in plain silence. For me, I often dither between three depending on the mood I’m in. More often than not, the TV proves to be a distraction, surprise surprise. But then sitting in silence isn’t an option either. I personally hate silence and cannot stand being in my wee little flat on my own! So that only leaves option number 3.
Now I often pride myself on actually knowing a thing or two about music. My favourite band is Matchbox Twenty, I love a bit of Elvis, know all the words to Michael Jackson and am not shy to a bit of Def Leopard, but as shameful as this is, my current musical playlist doesn’t portray any of that. Instead it’s a compilation of recent popular music that’s made its way into the charts. And yes, some of it I’m ashamed of, but it’s hard to argue with a playlist that works and I’ve found that when I’m writing, this one gets the most done!
If you’re unfamiliar with any of the songs, I’ve added a link to the official video for you to take a look!
- Fancy by Iggy Azalea
- Ho Hey by The Lumineers
- Trumpets by Jason Derulo
- Girls by The 1975
- Drive By by Train
- Little Talks by Of Monsters and Men – one of my all time favourite songs!
- Rather Be by Clean Bandit
- Applause by Lady Gaga
- Talk Dirty by Jason Derulo
- Roar by Katy Perry
- Counting Stars by One Republic
- Call Me Maybe by Carly Rae Jepson
- Free by Rudimental ft Emeli Sandé
- Mama do the Hump by Rizzlekicks
- Next to Me by Emeli Sandé – such a powerful singer
- F for You by Disclosure
- Paradise by Coldplay
- My Songs Know What you Did in the Dark by Fall Out Boy
- I Love It by Icona Pop ft Charli XCX
- Mr Saxobeat by Alexandra Stan
- Hall of Fame by The Script ft Will.I.Am
- Candy by Robbie Williams
- I Will Never Let You Down by Rita Ora
- Kick Starts by Example
- Let Her Go by Passenger
- Blurred Lines by Robin Thicke – I love this song!
- She’s so Mean by Matchbox Twenty- this is one of my all time faves from my all time fave band (and the video is great)!
- Radioactive by Imagine Dragons – such a great band
- On Top of the World by Imagine Dragons
- Crazy Stupid Love by Cheryl Cole
- Boom Clap by Charlie XCX
- Ghost by Ella Henderson
- Come Get it Bae by Pharrell Williams
- Love Runs Out by One Republic
- Ugly Heart by G.R.L
- The Nights by Avicii
- Uptown Funk by Mark Ronson ft Bruno Mars – this one never gets old
- Sugar by Maroon 5
- Cheerleader by OMI
- Oh My Love by The Score – this is my most recent find
I’m sorry they couldn’t be from the more classic section of my iPod but unfortunately at the moment they’re working in keeping my head down and the words flowing, so I guess they’ll just have to do!
What do you do when you’re writing? Do you have your own playlist, or do you have a different approach?